Under the new slogan, Hockey Makes Us, Team President Cyril Leeder outlined the club's plans for the 2011/2012 season, the 20th in the history of the franchise. Obviously the All Star Game at the end of January is the main event but that is by no means all fans have to look forward to.
It will be a season that acknowledges the past, present and future of the Ottawa Senators while making the link to the rich hockey heritage that this city has
Despite some speculation to the contrary, the team did not reveal the much talked about Heritage jersey. Leeder mentioned that the plan is to release that at some point in October. Although I've talked to a few people since the leak came out the other day and most seem to believe that it will be very close to the image shown on Icethetics.
A few other points of interest from today's event...
- The Heritage jersey will debut in game action on October 13th against the Colorado Avalanche. The jersey will be worn 11 times during the season.
- There will be a number of unique theme nights to recognize great moment from the Sens modern era include a Roger Neilson tribute night when the Canucks are in town and a salute to the Sens first playoff team.
- Members of the modern era Sens will be on hand when the Sens play their home opener against the Wild. Should be an interesting night with Heatley also in town as a member of the Wild. Fans that attend the home opener will receive a commemorative 20th anniversary Senators pin.
- No mention of the new scoreboard. I have been told there is still some work to do on that front but that they plan to have something in place in time for the All Star Game.
- The team's pre-season games, opening night (Oct. 11), and three and five-game packages will go on sale to the public on Friday, Aug. 12, while all remaining regular-season single-game tickets will be available for purchase on Friday, Sept. 9.
- The full promotional schedule is available here.
On a more personal note, I am extremely encouraged by the Sens decision to reach out to the blogosphere for this event. There are a number of hard working individuals behind the many Sens blogs across the internet and it's great to see the club making an effort to connect with those individuals and their readers.
Can't wait to get the 20th Season underway!
A quick update on the SensChirp Search. I have received the second entry and will be posting it either later on tonight or early tomorrow morning.